Every February 2, the groundhog looks for his shadow, and when he sees his shadow "People"(not Phil) predict six more weeks of winter.
When he does not see his shadow, an early spring is then predicted.
I think it's interesting to note that of these 112 predictions on record so far, Punxsutawney Phil has predicted an early spring 14 times.
As to his accuracy, according to the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club Inner Circle, he is 100% accurate.... However, according to the StormFax Weather Almanac and records kept since 1887, Phil's predictions have been correct just 39% of the time.
The odds for coin tossing in comparison are about 51% to the person doing the tossing, and 49% to the other guy! Hmmm?
This year I plan on just embracing whatever comes.
Hope you enjoy my quotes this week on winter.
Between you and me,
1. "The groundhog is like most other prophets; it delivers its prediction and then disappears." ~Bill Vaughn
2. "To shorten winter, borrow some money due in spring." ~W.J. Vogel
3. "The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it." ~Patrick Young
4. "Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while." ~Kin Hubbard
5. "Winter is nature's way of saying, "Up yours." ~Robert Byrne
6. "I was just thinking, if it is really religion with these nudist colonies, they sure must turn atheists in the wintertime." ~Will Rogers
7. "There's one good thing about snow, it makes your lawn look as nice as your neighbor's." ~Clyde Moore
8. "Perhaps I am a bear, or some hibernating animal underneath, for the instinct to be half asleep all winter is so strong in me".
Anne Morrow Lindbergh
9. "One kind word can warm three winter months."
10. "When you live in Texas, every single time you see snow it’s magical."
11. “There are only two seasons -- winter and Baseball.”
12. “Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.”
Quotable Sunday is brought to you by Toni, from A Daily Dose of Toni - why don't you join us? Here are the basic and easy-to-follow rules...come on and join in, it's fun! ;)
The rules (for newbies)~Go to your blog and post one or more of your favorite quotes.~Go to Toni's and sign mister linky with the link to your post and then go visit the other participants and leave some comment love.~Spread the word of course...we want lots of Quotes to read. :)